Since we are in primary season, it seems appropriate to look at the Trump balance sheet. What has he accomplished so far?
Well, not much in my opinion, but let’s get at it.
- He sold Otto Warmbier down the river. After North Korea tortured Otto to death, Trump had a few a show meetings with Kim Jung Un and then did what? He sat on his ass and ate cheeseburgers.
- Julian Assange, who Trump said he liked prior to being elected, currently rots in Belmarsh Prison at the request of the CIA. Our President has said nary a word.
- Alex Jones, another buddy of the President, was deep-mixed by almost all major social media sites at around the same time. Trump went silent. So much for free speech.
- The foreign wars. Still there. Still fighting. Now, we’ll have to be careful here because a peace agreement was recently signed with the Taliban in Afghanistan. Let’s see what happens. Is this real peace, or are we getting ready to use those troops for another war somewhere else? Iran anyone? How about the Sahel?
- Being our voice. Remember when Trump said he was going to be our voice? After he was elected, he immediately moved the board room of Goldman Sachs into the White House.
- Healthcare. Okay, so Trump reversed the mandate. Big deal. John Roberts’s Obamacare decision still stands. The next liberal president can immediately reinstate that flawed tortuous logic.
- Competition. Trump stood by and did nothing as Aetna merged with CVS-Caremark further increasing the size of our US Healthcare corporations. If we thought too big to fail was bad in 2008, then why would we think even bigger would work? It won’t.
- The shameless fawning over Juan Guaido at the State of the Union address. Don’t we believe in national sovereignty? Who are we to pick the president of another country? How would we feel if someone did that to us? Say, didn’t our ancestors fight a revolutionary war specifically for that reason – to control our own destiny?
- Lock her up. Excuse me, but didn’t Trump egg on the rabble when they screamed “Lock her up” in reference to Hillary Clinton? Weren’t there real allegations against her that needed to be investigated? Results: Zip.
- Jeffrey Epstein. Sure, Epstein had committed real crimes, but he was still a citizen of the USA and therefore entitled to basic rights. After doubts arose as to whether he really did kill himself in prison, what did Trump do? Launch a serious investigation? Don’t make me laugh.
- The infrastructure. Remember when Trump said he was going to rebuild America? What happened? Nada.
- The economy. Supposedly the country is booming. Booming is 10% growth, strong is 5%, weak is 1%. We are at 3.2% which is average.
- Unemployment. Unemployment is at a record low. Of course. When you pay everybody a dollar an hour to work on a feudal estate, everybody’s employed. Hey, everyone in the Soviet Union was employed. Everyone in Cuba is employed.
- Intelligence. Trump stated that socialism would never come to United States. Here’s a ticket on the clue train: we’ve been living under socialism since FDR. What do you think social security is? What do you think food stamps are?
- Manufacturing. Trump brags about bringing manufacturing back, but manufacturing has been making a steady increase since 2008. Manufacturing as a percentage of the economy is exactly where it was in 2008. Let’s see what happens. Do we really believe that our greedy elite billionaires (Trump is one of them) have reformed to the point where they want to put manufacturing back in the United States? That takes money away from them.
Okay, is that enough?
Hey, what about the wall?
Well, as it turns out the wall was a stupid idea, and his support of it underscores Trump’s inability to pick up a book and read it. Listening to cheerleaders like Sean Hannity won’t cut it.
The reason so many immigrants are coming to the United States is because US Corporations and wealthy Central American landowners have made life impossible for the average citizen there. The rich murder union organizers so that they may pay the workers nothing; and they pollute the environment to boot. That’s why you have extreme poverty; that’s why you have MS 13. That’s why the people are coming up here.
You might say they are motivated to come up here; ergo, no wall will stop them. That Trump does not understand this is reason enough to throw him out of office.
Copyright 2020 Archer Crosley All Rights Reserved
Did you like the column? How about a buck? Thanks much.